Sunday, October 31, 2010

2005: Listening Party in Amsterdam

In September 2005 Bon Jovi set to release their 9th studio record "Have a Nice Day" and once again crossed the ocean to do some promotion in Europe. This time, Amsterdam was the city of choice and as I had the opportunity, I couldn't help myself from attending to the one off show. Here's what happened:

It was 6:30 a.m. and I was number 44 in a line of hundreds, queuing with people with whom I would speak in the following hours. Some I’d meet for the first time, while others, I’d recognize from past shows. I was in Amsterdam, waiting for the listening party of “Have a Nice Day”, the upcoming album from Bon Jovi.

My mp3 player helped the time to fast forward while making me listen to the forthcoming album. The queue was organized by the same people I had met in Hyde Park, London 2003, and like then it was a smooth wait. Well, at least until we formed the final line, all packed and nervous, we got the sign to get in. It was a rush, everybody ran after their bags were searched and tickets were checked. Unfortunately they took a long time to search me, so I was passed by a few people. But the luck came back when I saw we had to run for while, since we got in from the back of the Arena, and that gave me the space.

I needed to run and regain my position. All in all, I got a good position in the 2nd row, right in front of Dave and Hugh. One of my friends was able to get right next to me, while the other had to abdicate from the first rows, since she was pregnant and could not risk all the pushing in the front. And so we were ready to wait another 2 hours for an entertaining opening act. Only after that, the lights went out and the big moment was about to begin.

“Last man standing” kicked off the show, being performed live in its Rock version for the very first time. I could see no better way to do it, since the band delivered a good amount of energy, while the audience responded singing along. Magic was in the air with people dancing, clapping, repeating words after the band and filling chorus with rainbow colours. “You give Love a Bad Name” and “Livin’ on a Prayer” proved lyrics don’t only belong to the ones who wrote them, but to everyone who share the belief in their dreams.

During the first songs I tried to show the Portuguese scarf to the band, an act that had its reward when Jon Bon Jovi mentioned the name of the country in the short list of nations to which he thanked the presence. No words can describe the joy and happiness that that 8 letter word pronounced by my idol made me feel: pride, emotion, and sense of accomplishment. All emotions I could feel in that moment.

“Born to be my Baby” was played next, the same way it was in 2003, followed by the first single of the forthcoming album, the title track “Have a Nice Day”. The latter proved to have enough strength live to be a staple in future set lists, hence its power and acceptance by the public.

“It’s my Life” was the next anthem, taking all the present to Bon Jovi Hit vile again. “Radio saved my life tonight” and an acoustic rendition of “Someday I’ll be Saturday night” brought emotion to the show, all due to the passion they were performed.

“Wanted dead or alive”, the Bon Jovi national anthem took the show again to that place both audience and band sang in a single voice feelings made of experiences all had shared. And it was with this kind of mood that one of Rock’n’Roll most famous line was sung: “I’ve seen a million faces, and I’ve rocked them all”.

“Who says you can’t go home” was the third and final track from the new album that was played, and with a warm reaction from the audience: the “Captain Crash” choreography was adopted and the line “It’s Alright” echoed back a zillion times to the lead singer. This extraordinary song will definitely allow moments of complicity between band and audience in future shows.

From that moment on, another big blast of energy took the stage, as Jon left his guitar; he emerged on stage, proving why he is one of the world best front men alive. “Raise your hands”, “I’ll sleep when I’m dead” and “Keep the Faith” closed the main set to an exhausted crowd.

In the extremely short encore we could only listen to “Bad Medicine”, making this the worst moment of the night. The good rhythm of the main set was broken by an abrupt end.

So after the goodbyes and farewells, I couldn’t help to feel everything had passed in the speed of light and that the super professional front man, who entertained us, also imposed an auto-pilot to the last third of the show that no one could understand. Also, the lack of new songs was very intriguing; hence it was supposed to be a show to present the new album. After all we got only 3 new songs.

I left the place with my friends, but could not help to feel there was something missing. Either because it was short, it lacked new songs, or because of the auto-pilot we witnessed in the end of the show, I could not be entirely happy. But, after all this was only the beginning, the band had not rehearsed yet and a new World tour would soon begin. The emotions from the first part of the show would soon come back and I would relief part of my frustration. So I walked in the Amsterdam night with hope and certain that I’d be back on the road in a few months time and the feeling I had witnessed in the beginning of the show would be repeated again and again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment